Senior Scientist - Functional Coatings
We are seeking an enthusiastic and ambitious Senior Scientist - Functional Coatings to join our team.
Earthodic is advancing the global transition to a circular economy by creating easy-to-adopt bio-based coatings. We’re a team with diverse expertise and experience, headquartered in Australia. We were brought together by a passion for making the world a better place and united by our belief in the potential of our products. We are out to make a big impact, to demonstrate that sustainability and performance can go hand in hand. Our biobased coatings give paper and cardboard superpowers, without compromising the ability to be recycled or composted at end-of-life.
As a Senior Formulation Specialist at Earthodic, you will play a crucial role in developing innovative functional coatings that support our mission. We are looking for a candidate who not only formulates coatings but has experience scaling them from the lab to industrial-scale, and can contribute to continuous improvement of our technology.
As a valued member of our development team, you will be involved in;
- Work with the Chief Technology Officer to formulate and develop 100% bio-based coatings, focusing on optimisation of key functional performance properties for the paper-packaging industry.
- Scale up lab-developed formulations to meet industry demands and enhance them with your innovative ideas.
- Conduct research to improve coatings for pulp, paper, and fibre applications, while optimising them for full-scale production.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure coatings meet industry requirements.
- Work directly with bio-based materials and be comfortable with a "get your hands dirty" approach.
- Travel as needed to partner sites and engage in on-site research.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in sustainable coating technologies.
- Analyse and interpret data to make data-driven decisions in the formulation and scaling process.
- Contribute to the patenting process for unique formulations and products.
- Mentor and guide junior team members in the formulation department.
- Actively participating towards a positive OHS culture and company SOPs
- Education: A bachelor's, Master's, or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Materials Science, or a related field. Commensurate industry experience will also be considered.
- Industry experience: The ideal candidate should have proven experience in the formulation and optimisation of functional coatings for pulp, paper, or fibre applications. Experience with bio-based materials and sustainable / green chemistry is highly desirable. Proven experience in scaling lab-developed formulations to full-scale industry production is also highly desirable.
- Innovation mindset: Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an ability to think outside-the box and bring fresh ideas to the table. A willingness to work with a broad range of stakeholders to achieve ambitious goals.
- Team Player: We are looking for a candidate who can work effectively as part of a team and contribute to a positive working environment.
- Sustainability Mindset: Our company is committed to sustainability, and we are looking for a candidate who shares this passion and is motivated to contribute to our mission of creating a more sustainable and circular world, where nothing is wasted.
We are currently a small team, but with big growth ambitions! We can also offer the successful candidate exposure and experience to other non-technical elements of a high growth science-based technology company. If you are excited about the opportunity to make a difference through sustainable innovation, we'd love to hear from you. Please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience, your motivation to join Earthodic, your experience in scaling coatings, and your ability to add enhancements and innovations to formulations.
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity.